Monday, January 25, 2010

025/365: GradeQuick...HELP!


My job is to make technology easier and more accessible to all end users: students, teachers, administrators, secretaries, custodians, and parents. I hit a major road block while trying to do my job today.

Teachers had to submit their grades electronically by the end of the work day. My job was to make sure there weren't any snafus in the sending process; that teachers had an easy path to grade sending success. This was made impossible by the mere fact that the server could not handle the volume of users! Imagine thousands of teachers sending millions of bytes of data through the network without any rhyme or reason, and almost all at once. When I left work at 4pm, teachers, some with tears in their eyes, were still trying to send grades they finished this morning. I felt absolutely helpless! Time is the new currency, especially in public education. It disturbed me that much of it was wasted today.

It is my hope that a sending schedule will be established to assure that this sort of debacle won't happen again. I need to be at work early tomorrow to help the teachers who couldn't send today. Hopefully, they will be able to send quickly and be done with it!

Until next time....send away!! (Hopefully....)

1 comment:

JSG said...

Ours crashed too. Same as last quarter. I am a tech geek who resists every urge to do things old school, but it's a good thing I had my scribbly old gradebook. If appropriate $ was invested to do it right....