Monday, January 11, 2010

011/365: A chip off the old block.


Bad news: In a fit of anger, JOR lost his DSi for the week.
Good news: He made his mama proud.

Tonight was JOR's first "official" guitar lesson. He learned the basics: holding it correctly, hand positions, and finally....playing the darned thing. He did a wonderful job. He strummed without a pick (or a "pluck", as he first called it) to get a feel for the strings and managed to switch from C to G7 (one finger version) without little hesitation. "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" is his practicing homework for the week.

JOR's playing wasn't the only thing that made me proud. It was his excitement. He was genuinely thrilled to be playing "real" chords. He kept asking for more, but we had to break to give his neophyte fingers a rest.

While I watched him strum, I had flashbacks to my beginning guitar days. I was his age (8) when I started guitar at Center Moriches Elementary School. Mrs. J., my music teacher, let me come to school early and play while she prepared for the day. Occasionally she'd stop her planning to show me a new chord, a new strum or to give me a song to learn. I thought I was the "bees knees". Eventually, I would "borrow" my brother's guitar and play along with the radio. That's when my sister bought me my first songbook, Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors". (OK, so that was a LONG time ago!) Fun times!!

I can only hope that JOR has as much fun with music as I have. By the looks of this picture, I'd say he is on his way! (The future Simon and Garfunkel?)

Until next time...strum away!!

No comments: