Monday, March 8, 2010

067 / 365: In the game...


I had the honor of being a full time music teacher today. After being out of the daily classroom grind for almost 3 years, it felt good to get back in the game...sort of.

Driving home, I reflected on my teaching "chops": What worked? What didn't? How was the management? Did the students achieve the objective? Did I achieve it? I went through my "shtick" with a fine tooth comb. There were definitely some things that have rusted shut (my stamina for teaching 6 classes a day, small managerial issues), but there were also things I've improved upon (engaging the students, pulling in their background knowledge, integrating other subject areas into a lesson without comprimising the objective). This was a good spot check on how I'm doing pedagogically. It was also a good way to ensure I get a good night's sleep tonight.

Until next time...collapse away!!

No comments: