Wednesday, March 3, 2010

062 / 365: Strange...


My job involves visiting numerous schools. Most have the same "aura" of a cold, business-like, "we must pass our SOL, so there will be no talking" environment. Everyone is focused on the task at hand: to make sure the children fill in the correct bubble for each question. At the same time, they are thinking, "Will I have this job next year?"

Everyone except the staff at "S" Elementary School.

"S" was my third, and final, stop for the day as a teacher needed (or in this case, thought she needed) support with her electronic gradebook. When I met my integrator colleague to go through the teacher's gradebook, I kept hearing an unknown sound. A sound so foreign to elementary schools the past few years, I thought I was having flashbacks of teaching days gone by. This sound resonated through the library and would not stop. In fact, it got louder and louder....it was....

LAUGHTER!!!!!

A group of teachers was talking in the library. Their conversation was not one of benchmarks or schedules. It was light and fun and personal. What hooked me was the frequency and intensity of the laughter. It was contagious. I couldn't help but giggle myself.

The flashbacks started coming. I remember a time when schools were fun. When being a teacher meant doing your job, but allowing your students to see that teaching, and more importantly learning, can be (and should be) fun. When it was OK to act out, to belly laugh to the point of tears, even if it was in a faculty meeting. When it was acceptable to sit in the front office and joke around with the secretaries. When it was allowed to push teachers around....in rolling chairs.....as the students stood by and giggled. When it was expected to yell to another teacher down the hallway. When it was permissible to be human.

Sadly, those days are long gone. Students will not see how much fun learning can be. They will be formed into Scantron Drones, charged to do non-thinking tasks sitting at desks and computers. They will miss the beautiful sight of a teacher's smile. They will miss the glorious sounds of a teacher's laughter. I am sad for the students, but even sadder for the teachers.

Something tells me I will try to visit "S" Elementary School more often.

Until next time....laugh away!!

No comments: