Saturday, July 31, 2010

212 / 365: Good Bye to a Class Act


Yet another icon is signing off into the sunset.

Chuck Roberts, the inaugural anchor for CNN's Headline News, is leaving the network. While his plans were not made known, I do know his departure struck something in me.

I remember moving out of my parents' house in 1990. When I set up my TV, one of the first channels I loved was Headline News (my father was a newshound, so I come by it naturally). I looked forward to coming home from work and turning on Channel 34 to catch the latest news. Sometimes I'd even sleep with Chuck after an exhausting day of teaching.

The qualities that I really appreciated in Chuck were his dependability, professionalism, and just a "no-nonsense" approach to the news. There were few, if any, editorial quips so prevalent in journalism today. Just the facts, ma'am.

While I wish him the best in his future endeavors, I am sad to know that yet another generation of journalists will miss out on what delivering news is about. Good bye Chuck. You'll be missed!

Until next time....broadcast away!

No comments: