Sunday, July 25, 2010

206 / 365: My 168 Hours...


I posted last week that I was reading 168 Hours, a book on time management. The author's claim is that we have more "free" time during a week (168 hours) than we think. Her first assignment for the reader is a self-assessment of how we utilize our 168 hours. I printed out a blank schedule from the website and kept track of seven full days. Above was the end result.

While it is accurate, it is truly not a reflection of a "normal" week. I'm still on vacation (hence the "BG" for the Tuesday's Busch Gardens trip), there are many blocks of nap time (yeah!), and the boys and I played a lot. However, there were somethings I noticed about my time:
-I squander too much of it on my computer (shock!).
-Cleaning and laundry really don't take up much time, especially when Hubby does it.
-With all my reading time, I still didn't finish my book.
-There is the potential that I DO have enough time in the week to get things done. I don't mean housework either. Playing with the boys, watching a movie with Hubby, hanging out with friends, can all be accomplished as well.

This experiment will continue next month, when I track my work week. It will probably be the second week of August, when work is going full throttle and I won't have Vacation Bible School at night. That will be the litmus test. Am I really making the most of my 168 hours?

Until next time....accomplish away!!

No comments: