Wednesday, July 28, 2010

209 / 365: The Soloist


Tonight, Hubby and I watched this thought-provoking movie, a true story of an LA Times journalist discovering, then befriending a homeless man. This man was a gifted cellist at Julliard. This man is schizophrenic.

My thoughts bounced around. First, to gratitude. While I often joke about my mental stability, I know that I have a somewhat sound mind and can take care of myself. I often express appreciation for physical health, but after seeing this movie, a shout out to good mental health is in order.

My contemplation soured as I thought of the millions of mentally ill people living out on our streets. According to the statistic at the end of the movie, 90,000 homeless people live in Los Angeles ALONE! Out of those 90,000, how many are of sound mind? How many can take care of themselves? Not all of them have an LA Times journalist to help them.

It's a frightening, sad and frustrating issue. How can we help?

Until next time....think away!

No comments: