Thursday, July 8, 2010

189 / 365: Bears everywhere!


Had a "Stuff n Fluff" workshop for 60 children today. Luckily, they were in 2 groups so I thought it could be do-able. Well I was wrong....dead wrong!

The first group consisted of 30 preschoolers. Anytime there is a large group of 2,3 and 4 year olds, one has to be concerned about the dangers of an explosion. Their energy level was off the charts! Luckily, in survival mode, I put on my preschool teacher hat: we danced, we sang, and we played games with our new "friends" (the bears). However, the damage was done. By the end of the workshop, bears were everywhere (luckily, we put names on the tags), 1 child was crying (not my fault), 1 little girl was dumping Legos out of every bin, and we lost a child temporarily because he was buried....in my stuffing!

My thought process was amusing: Well, the next group of children, 30 5-11 year olds, shouldn't be so demanding, right? I needed a happy hour after that group!! Luckily, we didn't lose any children in this workshop, but the dream was there..... Then one little boy with autism wanted nothing to do with the entire event, so he walked laps around the activity, humming a tune so many times, I have the earworm in my head. Oddly enough, the older kids were cooperative and fun. I had "assumed" that they would feel too cool for this. They really got into it and had a good time. The younger ones in this group need some "learnin'": "No, honey, we don't hit people with the bears.", "You can write your own birth certificates, I don't know how to spell that name.", ad nauseum.....

Luckily, the 2 workshops lasted less than 2 hours. By 2:00 I was napping, dreaming of children buried in stuffing....

Until next time...stuff away!

No comments: