Wednesday, July 14, 2010

195 / 365: Yerba Mate


Oh, how I missed you!

Yerba Mate, or mate, is a tea on steroids. It contains over 20 vitamins and minerals and is a known stimulant, but without the coffee side effects. Mate increases awareness, suppresses appetite and gives the drinker energy. However, there are little to no jitters and one actually feels a strong calm after having a cup.

I discovered mate in my perpetual search for the "something" that would give me that "strong calm". It is popular in South America, where the tea is shared. Hot, not boiling, water is poured into a gourd containing leaves. Then the tea is sipped through a bombilla, a metal straw with straining holes at the bottom to prevent the leaves from being sucked through the straw.

While there are disputes about the actual effectiveness of Yerba Mate, I can tell you from personal experience that it works. It has a nice taste, hot or iced, and gives me what I need: physical and mental energy with out the jitters. I started drinking it again this week and I am feeling the difference!

Until next time....mate away!

No comments: