Wednesday, February 10, 2010

041/365: Surprise!


When we went to bed, it was raining. When we awoke, it was raining. When we were getting ready for the day, it started snowing. I mean, SNOWING! Hard, fast, horizontal at times. I had flashbacks to Potsdam days, seeing white out conditions forming.

MGR went out to clear the cars. In NY, this would be a normal winter morning. However, we were worrying. No schools were closing. It was past the usual announcing time. Would they at least delay opening? Close for the day? The forecast wasn't definitive about the snow's starting and stopping times, so that wasn't helpful. Then came confusion:

The middle and elementary schools that start after 7:30 were on a 2 hour delay. All the high schools will open as scheduled (buses were out and about and trying to get the HS kids to school already). Then, the decision came to close whatever schools were on a delay. Cars and buses were sliding and / or stuck. It was a messy morning!! No one predicted it would be this bad.

Needless to say, it was stressful day for the HS kids and parents. Many of these young people drive and did not have enough experience to drive in the storm. So far, I haven't heard about any tragedy. Hopefully, everyone arrived home safe. Knock on wood....

On the bright side, it was a nice surprise. I finished up the paperwork for my online students, tweaked a lesson, played with the boys, started a book and took a nap. A well balanced day! I could use a few more of these!

Until next time...balance away!

1 comment:

EJG said...

I love reading your blog. I can't say it enough. Your writing is funny, fresh, and (many times) sentimental.

I haven't commented lately, so here it goes;

Regarding the homeless shelter post; Wow! What a wonderful lesson in humanity and compassion. I think I want to get IG involved in some reality-checking volunteering.

Regarding all the snow you've been getting; OMG! Potsdam has missed everyone of the storms that NY got. They've just gotten the normal foot of snow every other day. Is it true that you guys have to take a pay CUT because of all of the snow-removal costs? Please say it ain't so.