Tuesday, February 9, 2010

040/365: Reality Check


Today was a turnaround day: up at 4:30, at the gym by 5, almost figured out my lesson, had a wonderfully cleansing chat with a dear friend, ate within my points. A good day all around. However, the best was yet to come.

The boys and I spent the evening with 36 men. These gentlemen are guests at our church for the week, courtesy of CARITAS (Congregrations Around Richmond Involved To Assure Shelter). Yes, these gentlemen are homeless.

We served drinks and desserts. We ate together and prayed together. JOR and SRR enjoyed themselves with friends, both old and new, and had nice conversations with the guests. I was very proud of their behavior and genuine excitement to be with these men.

As I absorbed the scenes tonight, a tsunami of gratitude came over me. Yes, I felt down yesterday, but do I have to eat my dinners in a church hall? Do I have to sleep on a cot? Am I alone? As Cher beautifully screams in "Moonstruck", "Snap out of it!" And I am trying to. After all, my situation could be much worse. Thank God for these reality checks.

Until next time....check away!

1 comment:

Coaker Castle said...

thanks! Puts things in perspective. It's easy to get caught up in the have nots in life ad forget how blessed we are.
Jessica
http://Jessicanfamily.blogspot.com