Saturday, November 13, 2010

317 / 365: 8K Day!


I honestly thought things would not go well this morning. One sure sign appeared last night. A car in front of us was waiting to make a left turn at a traffic light. When the light turned green, it made a right turn. Its license plate: ILEADU. Be afraid, be VERY afraid!

But I digress. Today turned out MUCH better than anticipated!! A great run at 56:59. This was my best time ever!! I think there were a few factors that helped:
-AMAZING weather!
-I dressed light.
-Leggings to keep my legs warm.
-Physical therapy
-Sunday's long run.
-GPS all week. (Walking outside with 3rd, 4th and 5th graders every morning this week.)
-A light meal last night. (I finally conceded that a little 8K does NOT warrant a "Carbo Loaded Dinner". My denial always bloated me on race day.)
-Parking 9 miles from the start / finish. This made for a thorough pre-race warm up and cool down. I also burned off post race food by eating it as I walked back to the van. I really think the schlep to and from the van was another 8K in and of itself.
-Having a supportive family to keep the home fires burning while I trained. I love these guys!

Now I know what a "runner's high" really feels like. It took me forever to come down to take a snooze between the race and the family's afternoon agenda. While I'm still kind of tired, I feel good knowing that I reached my goal of 1 hour or under.

Time to chill and chow down.

Until next time....rest away!

No comments: