Sunday, December 26, 2010

360 / 365: Death by Virus


That is MY death by COMPUTER virus!

It started innocently enough. I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like booting up my computer, so I used Hubby's laptop to piddle around the 'net while cooking dinner. I was on the usual sites: Weather Channel, e-mail, news, etc. Nothing risque or dangerous.

Suddenly, things went south....fast. The mouse decided to stop working and a voice reminiscent of a game show declared, "Congratulations, you won!" The computer declared this every 10 minutes. Clueless, I had to tell Hubby. I was now south....of the border. At least I wish I was.

While he didn't yell, you could tell who he was blaming for this debacle. The looks, the cold shoulder, the snide remarks, all labeled me the resident hacker.

Time for me it to go to work. I Googled the issue and the results gave me some ideas. I then posted the problem on Facebook (along with a caveat to watch for the funeral notice) and got some better suggestions. I went straight to work and tried every spyware, malware and anti-virus known to Geek-Kind. Eventually, the virus was quarantined and I destroyed it happily, even celebrating with a glass of vino.

All is now well at the Ranch. Hubby's computer is working better than before the virus and I'm still in the land of the living. Happy Boxing Day!!

Until next time....protect away!

No comments: