Saturday, December 4, 2010

338 / 365: Concerned....


He's smart, creative, funny, helpful and caring. At the same time he's disorganized, sloppy, scatter brained, active, impulsive and easily distracted and frustrated. His behavior has deteriorated at home and school, and his grades are reflecting his inability to focus on his work.

I think the lovely ADHD Monster is rearing its ugly head. We've been observing the increase in symptoms as he gets older. He has always been "busy", but now, with increased expectations at school and home, it's painful to watch him attempt to focus and complete tasks. What's a mother to do?

Part of me plays back my thoughts as a childless teacher: "All he needs is a good smack!", "A little structure at home wouldn't kill him!", "If you didn't give sugar everyday, he may be normal.", etc.

Well, we've tried the punishments (his butt cheeks' imprints are on the bottom step / timeout area), we've tried the written routines (some have worked), and we do not give him huge doses of sugar (we joke with people, "If you sugar him up, he's yours!"). Sadly, very few strategies are working and MGR and I are at our wits' end.

We are making the doctor's appointment this week.

I am so worried about this procedure of evaluation, medication, more evaluation, tweaking medicine, ad nauseum, because I have seen what it does children. One week they come in all happy and peppy, the next week they're in a catatonic state. Yes, I know meds need to be "tweaked", but I am not looking forward to the horrible side effects of lethargy and appetite suppression for which ADHD meds are known. If you know my SRR, you know that's not him. I also hope the meds will not dampen his beautifully creative spirit. He's extremely artistic and musical and it's sad enough that school, through it's cookie cutter curriculum, kills creativity. I don't want his medicine to do that as well.

MGR has tried to assure me that everything will be fine. He should know. He, too, was diagnosed with ADHD when he was SRR's age. MGR knows that the meds will probably help his creativity, as he will be able to focus on projects longer. He will also be able to get other things done, so he can spend time on his art or music. I am hoping that once these synapses are under control, the world can see what I see: a wonderful soul.

Until next time....control away!

No comments: