Sunday, April 25, 2010

115 / 365: Feel good, feed good.


The highlights of my day centered around food. I know you're thinking, "Oh Shock!", but there's more to today than my usual gorging.

This afternoon, I attended the county school's Arts and Sciences Festival. It is a weekend event showcasing our students' talents in the fine arts and sciences. Two highlights of the weekend are the performances of the Elementary Honor Choirs. Since we have 38 elementary schools, we have to have 2 groups. These fantastic fifth graders learn their music, with the help of their amazing music teachers, then rehearse a mere two hours a few days before showtime. I've been doing this for 13 years now (once as a conductor), and it still astounds me how much these kids can do in two hours, and how beautifully they pull it together for the concerts.

Back to the food. Part of the singers' assignment is to bring one canned good to the big rehearsal. It helps the children understand that they are part of a bigger community, one in which they need to contribute. The food covered both ends of the stage, reminding everyone that if each person gives a little, lots can be accomplished.

After the performance, I helped colleagues bag up the food. We had to make two trips with a cafeteria trash can to put it all in my van. I drove the food over to Chester Baptist Church, headquarters for CCHASM (Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Alliance for Social Ministry). The youth group there was kind enough to come out and help me unload the many bags of food. The food pantry will have lots of food for the morning.

When I got home, hubby was warming up leftover baked ziti. I had made it yesterday, and it was quite tasty. As I was stuffing my face, a wave of gratitude came over me. While we don't have much, we do have a roof over our head and food to eat. This is more than some people. I am extrememly grateful for what I have, and need to remind myself that it could be worse....

Until next time....thank away!

No comments: