Friday, April 9, 2010

099 / 365: Tidbit the Terror...an obituary in the making.


I was going to blog about the cat next week in honor of her birthday, but I truthfully don't think she's going to make it.

After a rough ending to our Bass Pro Shops excursion, we had a nice visit from the B family. DB is our HVAC guy and came over to install a new thermostat. His mom, EB and his three lovely girls visited as well. We were all having fun until SHE came in.

A little background about Madam Tidbit: a few years ago, JOR found her (and her family) under our deck. He didn't tell us about his discovery, but asked suspicious questions: "What do cats drink?", "Can cats live outside for long periods of time?", etc. One morning, MGR heard meowing in the utility room. Lo and behold, the runt of the litter escaped from the family and tried to make herself a part of our family. And she succeeded. Due to the boys' allergies, she is only allowed in the laundry room, but she occasionally makes a game of escaping into the house.

She has been a fun, silly part of our crew. Until today.

Back to today's events: While DB was walking in and out working on the thermostat, Tidbit came in. She played her usual game: ran upstairs and hunkered down under our bed (go figure). I did what I usually do: shut the boys' doors and left ours open so that she could come back down when she was ready.

While visiting with the B family downstairs, I heard a long, drawn out noise than a crash. MGR went upstairs to check it out. I was called to the crime scene immediately. Apparently, Madam got her legs caught in the cables leading to the TV FIOS box. She pulled the excess cable out from the closet, then the box fell to the floor. I found the box and it was wet. I couldn't figure it out until my nose kicked in. Yep, in her fear, she peed all over the box and the carpet.

Following the cable under the bed, I tried to untie her specialness from the cords. She was not happy and expressed it by scratching me. I tried to keep her calm and pulled her out from under the bed. She let me detangle her (fur was covering the cables) then booked it back under the bed, where she stayed for another thirty minutes. Finally, I coerced her out and carried her down the stairs and out the door, dreaming of her on a bed of white rice, next to a fortune cookie.

The carpet has been cleaned, the FIOS box cleaned and functioning, the floor vacuumed, and Madam Tidbit's life has been spared....for now.

Until next time...breathe away!!

No comments: