Saturday, April 10, 2010

100 / 365: Aunt K.....


The picture says it all, but I'm going to elaborate anyway.

KSBJ has been my "Southern Sister" since I moved down here 13 years ago. We clicked and became a well-oiled machine at our elementary school: she the Physical Education teacher and me the Music teacher. The kids always looked forward to February, when she and I would combine forces and teach a dance unit. They didn't know what hit them!

As the years progressed, our friendship strengthened. We went through a lot at school and in our personal lives: marriages (she was my wedding coordinator), babies, parents' deaths, surgeries, spouses, etc. I can't thank her enough for her strength as I was falling apart.

My boys worship the ground KSBJ walks on. "Aunt K" is a guiding force in their lives. JOR attended her "Shoe Tying Boot Camp", and after a few hours, was successful in this task. SRR knows her wrath if she is informed of any questionable behavior.

Today, she went with us on a "Field Trip" to Point of Rocks Park. The boys had a great time, but I think she had a better time! She went on the slides, swings and pushed the boys til they belly laughed. A great time was had by all!

After MGR picked the boys us, we went on for some "estrogen therapy": pedicures and lunch. We laughed so hard, we cried! I had issues with my message chair ala Lucy Ricardo, getting the sensation that my chair would propel me into the ceiling. Lunch was our tradional fare: Pietro's steak special w/ fries. Damn the points, full fat ahead!

After our fun afternoon together, I realized how much I needed this "girls' day out". We laughed, talked, laughed some more, discussed, and laughed. I am honored to have KSBJ in my life. Somehow I know that the students she has taught for the past 33 years feel the same way.

Until next time...play away!

No comments: