Saturday, September 25, 2010

268 / 365: Language.


....foul language.....

Tonight's flag football game was cut short due to a coach's bad language to a referee.

You mean to tell me that bad language is unacceptable somewhere? I was fooled. I hear it during people's cel phone conversations in the grocery store. I hear it on prime time "harmless" TV. I hear it amongst colleagues. I hear it in "popular" songs. I hear parents say it to their children and vice versa. But it's NOT acceptable on the football field? What a refreshing change.

When I was teaching, I challenged my "filthy mouths" to find other words to describe their anger, frustration, or other people. Most of them were frozen in their tracks. Could they rise above the tide and build a vocabulary that is classier than their parents'? Could they use other words than those on TV? Sadly, most could not.

It upsets me that the English language has, once again, stooped to a new low. Unless you're on the gridiron.

Until next time....*$#@* away!!

No comments: