Friday, May 21, 2010

141 / 365: Dancing Fools


The bucks of the ball....
Our local YMCA offered a kids' line dancing class tonight. While it was fun, a wave of melancholy came over me. I miss teaching kids how to move!

My music lessons consistently had a movement component to them. Whether it was dancing, sign language, body percussion, the kids were active. I felt (and still feel) that this is an optimum way to for students to learn. My PE buddy and I used to spend an entire month working on dances. One highlight was watching two 4th grade classes gracefully dance the minuet. It was priceless!!

It took a great deal of self-control not to run the class tonight. The 2 ladies who taught the class were great, but this is habit for me. I found myself dancing in the back of the room, giving visual cues as the kids faced the back of the room during the Cupid Shuffle, Electric Slide, Macarena, and the Cha Cha Slide. It was a blast!! And my boys could really shake their dupas!

Until next time....dance away!!

No comments: