Friday, October 22, 2010

295 / 365: Gratitude


This is just my usual "Gratitude Check".

I have begun reading the works of Andy Andrews. Andrews lost both his parents when he was 19: one to cancer, the other to an accident. He became a "lost soul", homeless and confused. As he searched for himself, he read the biographies of successful people and found many of them to have seven traits in common. He wrote about these traits in a story entitled, "The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions That Determine Personal Success". One trait I relate to is gratitude.

Andrews wrote an interesting post in his blog: "One of my friends recently talked to an exchange student from an impoverished country. As they compared and contrasted her experiences in the United States with her home, she remarked, 'You Americans get to complain about the nicest things.'"

That hit me right between the eyes!! Time for a gratitude check.

For those of you who don't know, I keep a gratitude journal. Every night, I write down at least five things for which I am grateful. Every night the first word I write is "family". Yes, I moan and groan about them. Yes, I fuss about them. But, yes, I have one, and yes, they are the nicest things that ever happened to me. And yes, I should shut up and stop complaining about them because they ARE wonderful! I can't take them for granted.

Until next time...thank away!!

1 comment:

Belinda said...

You look absolutely beautiful in this picture.