Sunday, August 22, 2010

234 / 365: Nap or Narcolepsy?


Doctors have suggested these, people around the globe have these daily, benefits include increased physical and mental energy, lower rate of heart disease and increased concentration in the work arena.

Then why are naps so frowned upon in our society? Could they be seen as a sign of weakness? A sign of laziness? A sign of apathy? When I toured Europe, there were little villages that turned into ghost towns during the afternoon siesta. Nothing was open because all eyes were closed. The back of my American head kept thinking, "How do these shops and restaurants stay in business if they sleep the day away?" I came to find out that many of these establishments were around longer than my parents, and are doing nicely, thank you.

Many years later, I can understand the importance of these siestas. I thrive after my naps. I am usually very productive physically and mentally with my energy level high and stress level low. Sadly, these events can only occur on the weekend, when the naps almost happen in a narcoleptic episode: I sit in my recliner, read 2 or 3 pages, then zzzzzzzzzzzzz............... Sometimes it's a 30 minute respite, other times a 2 hour coma. Either type leaves me refreshed.

Here's hoping that someday we can have jobs where the afternoon break is not only allowed, but encouraged. Yes, I had that dream during my nap this afternoon.

Until next time....nap away!

No comments: