Friday, August 20, 2010

232 / 365: Emotional downs and ups....


Yes, today started on a downer, but it did pick up. I had to call the doctor for JOR's wrist, call his drama teacher and pack an activity bag for the boys, anticipating a long day of hospitals, x-rays, and casts. I was braced for the worst.

Arrived at the doctor 5 minutes early (a miracle) and they took us right back (another miracle!). SRR had a wellness check. Eczema flared up, but other than that, he's in great health! Thanks be to God! The nurse practitioner determined that JOR's wrist wasn't broken, just sprained. She wrapped it in an ACE bandage and encouraged him to go to football practice. Mom wasn't keen on this, but I totally understood where she was coming from. He didn't want to tackle or block. He was scared to death!!

This afternoon was just pure torture. JOR was a nervous wreck all day and soothed himself with video games. I tried to nap, but I wasn't doing much better. MGR couldn't even bring himself to take him to practice tonight. Mommy to the rescue!

We got to the parking lot and he had a total meltdown: tears, shakes and nerves. Oh, we were both in agony! My heart hurt watching him fall apart. I used all my mommy powers to get him motivated enough to hit the field.

I had to bite my nails for the first 75 minutes of practice as they ran through drills. Then, the games began. JOR was assigned to one of the biggest kids on the team. I was ready to throw up.

Imagine my excitement when JOR stood his ground!! While he didn't really tackle, he did manage to hold his own against this boy. The boy didn't make any headway, as JOR blocked him over and over. I was so proud of him. To affirm his success, I checked in with the coach who told me, "He's going to be OK!" Whew!

The ride home was a celebration!! We were pumped!! I got him home and showed him the video I took. He and Daddy were so excited!

JOR went to bed happier, more confident and hopefully, at peace. This has been a stressful week for him....for all of us!! I hope we keep going up because if not, I may have to hurl. I don't know how much more I can take.

Until next time...climb away!

No comments: