Saturday, June 27, 2009

Technology vs. Momology


Tomorrow, most of our technology integrator team will depart for Washington D.C. to attend the National Educational Computing Conference. I am looking forward to the experience, as I haven't been away to a professional conference since March, 2000! The conference, which lasts from Sunday to Wednesday, will feature the latest and greatest in technology education, both in pedagogy and product.

The professional in me is chomping at the bit to go, but the mommy in me is hesitant. The boys have already expressed their sadness due to my departure, especially my SRR, whose nickname "leech" has really stuck this weekend (pun intended). They both have been very clingy the past two days, saying how much they are going to miss me. While I know they'll be in great hands with Daddy, I will miss them terribly! This will be the longest I've been away from them. (My Noah's Ark trip to Chicago was only 3 days.) Hopefully, I can bring back some knowledge (and maybe some goodies) to help them get over my absence. Someday they will understand why I had to go and hopefully reap the benefits from my trip. Maybe a new Web 2.0 tool or piece of software could spark their talents. Maybe they can put Bill Gates to shame. Maybe I can retire early. Maybe I should stop the libations.....

Until next time......

4 comments:

EJG said...

The Phases of your Absence;

Phase 1 (The departure); Tears abound as your car starts to pull away. Last minute promises are uttered. "Yes, mommy, we'll be good for daddy."


Phase 2 (The Fish out of Water); They won't quite know what to do, since mommy was always the one who structured the day and kept everyone on schedule. Time is spent just staring at the walls.


Phase 3 (Realization); Suddenly, a thought comes to one of them (it could be the oldest male... but with your crew, it could be any of them) that something is missing.... the task master! Calls of "That's not how mommy does it" are answered with "well, mommy's not here... is she?" Mayhem ensues. Party time at the Rutherfords.


Phase 4 (Boredom); That was fun, but now what? The crew starts to count down the days until you return.


Phase 5 (Regret); Were we really happy that mommy was gone?! The boys start to feel lonely. The oldest child starts to show attitude towards his daddy, as if it was his fault that mommy went away.


Phase 6 (Reunion!); Mommy returns. There are hugs and kisses and promises that she will never ever ever go away again.


Phase 7 (Reality); Mommy starts asking questions! "Why is this here?" "How did this get here?" or the generic... "Exactly just what were you doing while I was gone?"


Phase 8 (The Question); One of the boys quietly, under his breath, asks, "When are you going away again?" It is answered with, "As soon as I can!!!!!!!!"

BJNR said...

OK, I just peed on myself reading this. According to the homestead thus far, you're 4 for 4!!!

JSG said...

I think I was in a trance when I wrote it because when I read it back even I laughed until I peed.
I kept picturing your crew doing each of these phases.

Hope you're having a great time. Hurry home (but not too fast!).

We will be in Richmond around July 16th or so. Call you with details!

EJG said...

Oops! I was signed in as JSG.