Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Fit Family?

We did it!! The entire clan participated in a fun fitness event. MGR, JOR and SRR ran in the First Market Mile Kids Run. MGR ran with SRR and one of our beloved Fairy Godmothers, LA, ran with JOR. Of course, poor LA had to be the adult in this "Fantastic Four".













Luckily, God was with us as we drove up to Richmond. We found a great parking spot and had plenty of time to prepare for the race. That meant eating for SRR. The only time this boy stopped eating was for the 10 minutes it took him to run the mile. A speed bump in his eating adventure!!

LA and the boys ran a fantastic race! I was especially proud of JOR, as he had some challenges completing a nonstop mile in his training. He did today's race without stopping at all!!! I'm hoping this race will help all 3 boys get the running bug. MGR tried to convince me that his participation warranted an iPod shuffle. Nice try Honey. Maybe when you run more than a mile....

It was now my turn. This is the 6th year I've done the Ukrops 10K, but only the 2nd time running / jogging / schlepping it. The training worked (imagine....) as I took 7 1/2 minutes off of last year's time. Here are some random thoughts / observations / head scratchers:
-Came out of the PortaPotty, the band was playing "Suicide is Painless" (MASH theme), EJG calls me as I see this painted on a building:




Simpatico perhaps?

-Why don't people have directionals and / or brake lights installed on their backs when they stupidly decide to weave in and out of the racers, than stop? Especially in front of the water stop?
-What part of "race two abreast" did you four people NOT understand?
-While there was a slight decrease in intelligence on the track, there certainly was an increase in friendliness, smiles and overall good karma. I think this is what I like best about this race!!

Attending the Expo yesterday, I saw some intriguing slogans:
-"In my dreams, I am Kenyan."
-"This seemed like a good idea three months ago."
But this one is my new favorite:
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the Courage to Start."

I hope that my courage to attempt a healthy lifestyle through eating right and exercise will influence my family. That is, after I digest my post-race bacon cheeseburger and ice cream!!


2 comments:

JSG said...

We are so proud of all of you! Losers on the run, UNITE!

BTW the Michele Obama arms are pretty impressive, mom!

BJNR said...

Don't be. Bad picture! The bat wings are ready for flight!!