Friday, September 4, 2009

Anticipation, Resolution, Maturation, (or ARMing myself for change)


The supplies selected by JOR and SRR were bought, labeled and packed since the beginning of August. MGR had his classroom set up a week before "Hell Week" (teacher work week). I've been at work since 7/29. This house is definitely ready for the school year to begin!

I think all four of us are excited and anxious: What kind of support and ideas can I give the teachers in my nine schools? Will they be accepting of engaging students w/ technology? What kind of class will MGR have? Will they cause him nights without sleep and weekends without a life? Will JOR overcome his obstacles in writing to show off what his beautiful mind is thinking? Will SRR get over the stigma that homework is bad? Will both boys be accepted in their respective peer circles and have the opportunity to continue thriving?

This anticipation signals a "New Year", thus bringing about my usual resolutions: getting healthy, staying within my points, working out more, saving money, maintaining the house, etc. However, this new job as technology integrator puts me in a position to add more:
-To recite the "Serenity Prayer" when dealing with resistant and / or controlling people.
-To avoid negativity and micromanagement.
-To tune out people who like to hear their heads roar.
-To avoid mentioning new and innovative ideas to others. "Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Why bother?
-To leave work at work!
-Mommy, Wife, Employee.....in that order!!! (First two can be switched as needed.)

This year, year 22 in my teaching career, will start differently. The excitement will be there, but more for my boys than for me. This paradigm shift is due to my boys getting bigger and better and my job getting more frustrating and less important. This small fish in the big pond wants to find a way out of this stagnant swamp and into clear, rolling waters. This swim will take a little planning and a lot of growing. Keeping myself sharp physically, mentally and emotionally will help that growth. Now onto finding that path..... (and some swim lessons!) Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

JSG said...

SELF, mommy, wife, employee. Don't forget the SELF, superwoman. I wish an awesome year for the whole "BJNR" clan.

XOXOXO